IMG_0990

Another Sunday walk along the south bank of the Thames and I successfully managed to not take a shot that included the London eye. I tried to shoot this sculpture earlier this month without success. This shot still doesn't feel right but as I've promised myself to avoid that part of London for a while, this will have to do.

Addendum: When I saw this again this morning, I liked it less than yesterday so I changed it for this desaturated background version.

Perhaps I should explain the strange title 'and?': The subject is shot from behind, consequently a backwards ampersand (&/and sign).

Canon EOS 20D, 50mm, f/8, 1/60Sec, ISO 400

Comments:

I had a quick look this morning and when I came back some minutes ago I was really confused! So I was happy when I read your add-on -> I am not going mad! You are right: I prefer this version too (but I miss the eye in the background! ;-) Nice work!

Marina - January 24, 2005 10:58 AM

I was thinking, if the background was really black and white, then we would be in that movie, Pleasantville. If the world was black and white, I would be all over that sculpture. ^_^

Amanda - January 24, 2005 06:44 PM

Can we get this photo with the Eye in the background? Just kidding :-) It's a good shot. Maybe, just maybe, a tad too saturated for my taste. Or maybe it's just that I don't like the combination of colors (but that's not your fault of course :) )

Peer - January 24, 2005 07:14 PM

I like the desaturated background here, but I agree with Peer about the saturation of the sculpture, and wonder how it might look if you reduced the saturation just a bit. I'm not sure if your title is meant to express uncertainty about what the sculpture is, but for what it's worth it looks like an ampersand (&) to me.

VISUAL FIELD - January 24, 2005 10:11 PM

Abstract Ampersands in London? Where is this sculpture? I like that you desaturated it to the point you have and I feel you should keep it this way. The actual colours are quite striking and it's not your usual type of photograph - when a photograph makes you stop and wonder in my book it makes it a good one - a focal/talking point. well done :-)

leigh - January 24, 2005 10:23 PM

selective colour on this rocks. totally cool. love it.

frisky? - January 25, 2005 01:31 AM

This is great. I don't think it's oversaturated at all. But that's me - I love saturated colors. I think it works especially well here against the desaturated background. I also like the perspective from which you took this.

luminouslens - January 25, 2005 08:05 AM

nicely done, cool shot.

paul - January 26, 2005 01:59 AM

I love it like it is. Great shot!

Andreas - January 26, 2005 12:32 PM

I like the contrast to the grey background. Well done!

tom - January 29, 2005 03:49 PM

I like the desaturated background - works well.

deceptive - January 30, 2005 04:23 PM

I dig the whole thing, Stuart. Love the selective coloring, and the decision to shoot at this angle, to include the wall as a background rather than the river, makes this work much better IMO.

Alec Long - February 1, 2005 12:42 PM