IMG_0012

Depsite feeling unwell I was determined to get a shot today, something to do with it being the shortest day of the year. This means, especially to us photographers, that the days will now get longer.

The fog tonight was so heavy, it was a proper pea souper. I decided not to go far and ended up on the village green.

There is a similar shot without the car light trails, but as traffic is a problem that the village suffers from this version seems most representative.

Canon EOS 20D, 48mm, f/25, 6sSec, ISO 800

Comments:

great night shot, the stillness of the tree combines well with the movement of the headlights. I went out lastnight in the fog here, but didn't have any luck :)

tom - December 22, 2004 01:21 AM

impressive shot! It looks really cold out there - hope you were dressed warm enough ;-) Try to recover soon!

Marina - December 22, 2004 08:11 AM

Great shot. Perfectly exposed and well composed. The fog diffuses the lighting beautifully. I think the light trails enhance the shot. Sadly, many English villages are being strangled by traffic. It also makes photography rather difficult - there's hardly a picturesque perspective in any village that isn't blocked by rows of parked MPVs.

eyematter - December 22, 2004 09:08 AM

What a fantastic shot - really does the village proud. Almost didn't recognise it. The fog and the lighting make it really picturesque. Beautifully framed too.

Damo - December 22, 2004 09:38 AM

Looks very cold. Great shot in a foggy night, something that I haven't got the chance to learn. This picture is the exact opposite of a picture that I posted a few days ago hahaha ;D That tree silhoutte really adds to the mysterious effect.

Monika - December 22, 2004 02:25 PM

Very atmospheric shot. It works really well.

Tintil - December 22, 2004 03:19 PM

This shot is very good! I can imagine this shot in some film where the guy is driving into a ghost town (because of the tree) Hope you're feeling better, and do you really like pea soup?

Amanda - December 22, 2004 08:20 PM

This is lovely. I've never heard the term "pea souper" before. You learn something new every day. :)

claire-obscure - December 22, 2004 09:37 PM

Nice one.

buggy - December 23, 2004 02:43 PM

Ok...so this one is drop dead great too.

Garth - December 27, 2004 02:56 AM

Yes, the car lights make this picture complete. Nice composition.

Matt - December 29, 2004 05:47 PM

~I/eye specifically like the tonal range here, stark white to deep black present, but I feel as if a bit of the unsharp mask in PShop would help bring out some sharper lines and detail...~

btezra - January 4, 2005 12:29 PM

When I was a kid growing up in London, 'Pea Souper' was reserved exclusively for smog. Smog occurred regularly before the days of the Clean Air Act. So this takes me back, even though it's just light fog! Very atmospheric with a lovely range of tones. Well done.

Thomas Pindelski - January 10, 2005 11:17 PM